The band was established over 100 years ago, as the Edmonton Town Military Band, the programme above shows a date of 1905 so we believe it would have been sometime before that. The word 'town' was dropped from its name between 1905 and 1923.
In 1952 it was agreed that Tottenham Council should 'adopt' the band which would be given a grant of £200 to be repaid by giving ten free concerts between 1952 and 1953. The band was then renamed the Tottenham Military Band and in 1986 it was changed again to the North London Concert Band, reflecting the fact that players came from many of the North London Boroughs. At this time the band was based in Edgware.
Strange to relate, the more recent history of the band is a little hazy about dates. It is thought that, as many of the band members came from south of the river, in the 1990's the rehearsal venue was moved to Tooting and the band changed its name to the 'New London Concert Band' in 1998.
In 2009, when we lost our rehearsal venue in Surbiton, the conductor retired and the band moved to Lower Kingswood, Surrey.
We spent 10 happy years there under the baton of Andrew Duncan.
In 2019 the band moved to the function room above the Robin Hood Pub in Sutton Surrey.
The band also changed its name from the New London Concert Band to the Allegra Concert Band, for a couple of good reasons, we weren't new and we weren't in London.
Due to the recent Covid19 pandemic we've had to move to a new rehearsal location. We now play at Nork Hall, Nork, Banstead, Surrey SM7 1JB. The hall is much larger than the previous one, which enable us to play our rehearsals in a Covid secure manner.
We rehearse on a Sunday afternoon 1pm to 3pm and play a wide variety of music, selections from musicals, marches, big band, classical arrangements and many more.